Tuesday, May 18, 2004

UNSCAM

I do have some liberal friends. Actually, the better way to describe them is as drinking buddies. We just try and stay away from politics all together. And here is one reason why:

So, after many rounds at the bar, we got onto the topic of the Oil For Food Scandal (UNSCAM). And my friend said to me "I don't know why you're making such a big deal about it, it was only like what, $10 Billion?"

At this point I just dropped the conversation by getting another beer and not going back to the conversation.

$10 billion is kind of a big deal to poor people. But you know what annoyed me even more? When the International community got together and was able to raise $33 Billion. $20Billion of that was from America.

So 73 nations got together and 72 of them were only able to donate about $10Billion to helping a democracy in the Middle East.

Yeah, $10Billion, it's a big deal.

Let's hope Iraqis have a long memory when it comes to the bill for this little endevour.

No comments: